Here’s my minimalist office:
It consists of:
- Laptop table with wireless keyboard and mouse (a chiropractor told me I needed to get my screen up at eye level)
- High speed modem (fiber optic!)
- Printer/scanner/copier (for a long time I got by with going to the library to print, but it happens frequently enough, and printers are so cheap, that I bought one last year)
It doesn’t consist of:
- Phone (I very rarely use a phone – mobile or landline)
- Desk (I use the coffee table)
- Chair (I sit on a pillow on the floor, or stand)
- Filing cabinets (almost everything is digital – when I get paper, I scan it into digital)
- Papers all over the place (see above)
- Fax machine (some of you are too young to remember what this is)
Now, I understand not everyone can get away with this and not everyone wants to, but I think we can agree that many of us would benefit from decluttering our office to some degree.
I recommend scheduling 30 minutes every single week (Monday morning is good) to get the office back to tidy.
You’ll get more done and your stress will go down at least 7 points.
If you really want to make this happen, schedule it in your calendar… right… now :)